October 16, 2012

Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling

Photo from hypable.com

What it’s about:

A novel about local politics and the ensuing conflict within the residents of Pagford High. It is quite a shock that this came from JK Rowling, whose riches is brought about by her unparalleled fame as a children’s book writer. Sure, her gift of insight and skillful narratives is very much evident in her portrayal of the characters. However, the book is replete with obscenities, graphic sex scenes, foul language and people hating each other. It is a very, very angry book.

What I think happened:
1.    JK Rowling became rich and famous and became extremely lonely at the top. She wrote Casual Vacancy so she can plummet back to earth and be a normal person again.
2.    The success of Harry Potter went to her head and she didn’t like the person that she has become. She wrote Casual Vacancy to purge herself of the saccharine goodness of Harry Potter, attract public flagellation and liberate herself from the bondage of her own celebrity.
3.    Somebody must have fed her drugs that cause a very bad trip in which dementors kiss her and suck out all the happiness she’d ever known.

;-(



4 comments:

Kymmie said...

Oh no! This is terrible. I'm definitely not reading this book despite the high expectations we have from J K Rowling!

Thanks for your honesty!

(And hello, it's been AGES!) I've missed you! x

Anonymous said...

it was greatly riveting to look over your blog, I want to reproduce your post in my blog. It can ? And you et an account on Twitter?

supermac said...

I am a big fan of JK Rowling and I always line up first day for her books. She hasn't lost her magic in weaving words but the basic plot of "Casual Vacancy" leaves much to be desired. Plus, I really find the extreme departure from what she's known for too staged and self-conscious. But that's just my humble opinion.

PS. I know it's been too long!! I missed your blog, too. Will hop on in a bit xx

Anonymous said...

I dont know what to say. This blog is fantastic. Thats not really a really huge statement, but its all I could come up with after reading this. You know so much about this subject. So much so that you made me want to learn more about it. Your blog is my stepping stone, my friend. Thanks for the heads up on this subject.