September 3, 2012

Moon River And My Tweeny Baby


My tween daughter, aging fast as I try
hard to stop the years.
I do not remember when my 9-year old started to act the way she is now—very smart and mature beyond her years, extremely articulate, a little distant, too quiet at times, a little cranky at times.

Sure she’s still very sweet and respectful but she can also be very straightforward (“Mom, you cannot force me to wear that.” Or “Mom, you should respect my decision.” while showing her trademark puppy-cute face).

Sometimes, I’d call her "baby" and she would be quick to say, “I am not a baby anymore.” and I would hug her tight and say, “Noooo!!! You will be my baby forever.”

But most of the time, I avoid smothering her. This is probably the phase where they need their own space, when they want to get lost in their own world and not have to explain it to anybody. I respect that need. I understand that need. So even if I would love to keep her close by at all times, I let her enjoy some air. And I try not to hover.

 I was sitting Indian-style on her bed
while singing. 
Unna, suddenly looking like a baby,
and her eyes still wet from the tears,
was intently listening.
At night when I tuck her and her sister to bed, I would stay a while to chat. When I lie down beside her, she would indulge me for a while then she would say that I better move to the bed of Laila, as her little sister might be needing me already (her polite way of saying scram). Clearly, she wants to be left alone.

But last night, she complained of mouth sores that she got from her braces. I guess it was really that painful because she was already crying from the pain and the frustration. Then I hugged her and stayed by her bedside and gave her a massage while singing “Moon River”.

Soon after, she moved her head from her pillow to my lap then hugged me, tears still streaming down from her eyes. She asked me to sing the song again and again and again. It was her first time to hear that song and she said she liked it because it sounds like a lullaby. Then she thanked me and said that made her feel so much better.

So I guess I'll just be waiting round the bend for sweet times such as this, when my tweener wants Mommy to make her feel like a baby again.


9 comments:

Naturally Carol said...

Poor girl, in so much pain! Every girl needs her mum though.

supermac said...

You're right, Carol. At this age, I still want my Mom to take care of me when I'm ill.

Anonymous said...

I just added this feed to my bookmarks. I have to say, I very much enjoy reading your blogs. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You guys did a great job spending your time to create this article! If I had to explain my emotions about your website in only one word ? it would be WOW! Thank you! P.S. Subscribed for updates!
Welcome to my blog [url=http://www.about-dogs.zoomshare.com/]www.about-dogs.zoomshare.com[/url].

Anonymous said...

You guys did a great job spending your time to create this article! If I had to explain my emotions about your website in only one word ? it would be WOW! Thank you! P.S. Subscribed for updates!

Kymmie said...

I hear you. My three year old already tells me he's not my baby! I love both shots of your 'baby'. She's just so beautiful. x

Anonymous said...

Magnificent! (As usual. :-P )

supermac said...

Thanks, Kymmie. Funny that even your 3-year old does not want anymore to be called a baby ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi just wanted to say that I like your article very much. Please keep up the good posts Thanks a ton! and Have a good day