October 30, 2011

What’s Left Of My Spare Time


First of all, does spare time even exist? Because I don’t have one. Whatever time I have left after work - and it is very little- I spend on my husband (talking, watching DVD’s, drinking) and my children (playing, snuggling in bed, reading bedtime stories or…….witchifying Barbie and Bratz dolls for Halloween!)


So the things I enjoy doing alone, like reading, blogging and lately, drawing ….well, I have to steal time for it. And because I can’t do it all with the very little time I have left for myself, I’ve decided to drop blogging for a while.

While I was away from the blogland, I spent my “spare time” finishing the book, “When We Were Orphans” by Kazuo Ishiguro. I am now starting to read “Game of Thrones” by George R.R. Martin. I did miss blogging but wow, what a great time I’m having so far devouring books again. I am back to my old habit of reading a book in uninterrupted chapters instead of token pages.

As I was saying, there’s also this new side of me as a Mom and as a person emerging these days as I indulge not just in crafts (Refrain: witchifying Barbie and Bratz dolls for Halloween) but also in newly-found passions. See, I’ve started on this project of doing a sketch of my kids. This is the result of my first sketch of Unna. (I’m going to do this again though because I thought I made her look older in this sketch.)


I don’t know how to describe this feeling but on the top of my head come words and phrases such as--- liberating. Being a child again. Wonder. Quiet joy.

And oh, how I’d love to do more but I don’t know when and how. Because unfortunately, in this crazy, full-to-the-brim world of ours, there really is no such thing as spare time.



1 comment:

picklebug said...

Wow, that picture looks really good! I hope you enjoy your time away from blogging, and just enjoy whatever you are doing. I know what you mean about spare time! I am lucky enough to be able to blog during quiet times at work, but all that will stop coming up to Christmas.
See you for now, and I hope you will be back someday soon with lots of news about what you've been doing!
Enjoy!
Rach x