October 14, 2011

How Often Do You Check Your Blog Stats?


I have a curious relationship with my blog site’s stats.

From the beginning, it has been clear to me that I will not blog for money nor fame. (I blog because I want my children to read this blog again --- when they are adults themselves and therefore get them to know me and appreciate me in a way I will never be able to demonstrate now that they are still children, and in the future, when I am old and tired, forgetful, menopausal, whatever. But that’s another story.)

Given that, I have already psyched myself when I was starting out that traffic will never be an issue to me. And thus began the lonely days of writing to the universe that never seemed to listen.

Still, I was ok. After all, my blog posts are like letters to the future. Even if in the end, my daughters and their families become the sole readers of this blog, then it would have served its purpose.

Then the comments started trickling in. The followers soon followed. They are miniscule compared to the numbers of the blog superstars I follow (who probably do not even have the time to check their stats). But they are precious to me.

Soon enough, I was clicking my stats far too frequently for somebody who is “not obsessed with traffic”. I love it when I get visits from countries that do not regularly seep into my consciousness—Latvia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine, Oman. How cool to even say these names.

This morning, I checked the traffic sources and saw stuff I recognize like “hello kitty gundam” (yep, I wrote about that) or “ryan gosling is so hot” (uh-huh, uh-huh).

But there was also “how to clean old mirrors” (what? I don’t remember talking about anything remotely related to “mirrors”, let alone “cleaning”) and “melodramatic girl” (now that stings). 

So yeah, my name is Tey. And I am a statoholic.

I am not ashamed to say I check my stats almost everyday (except on days when I am buried in work) and I am grateful for every comment, every follow, and every single number that brings up my little chart, however slow.

And when my kids and my kids’ kids read this blog someday, they too, will look at my numbers, and at the comments of the lovely strangers who agree with me, laugh with me, and validate me as a blogger, mother, woman.

And for sure, even if I am not a blog superstar, they will be mightily proud of me.

7 comments:

Naturally Carol said...

Isn't it funny how a few comments just become valued over time and even friends..though we've never really met! I am a non commercial blogger too..just a personal issue for me not wanting to be answerable to others with my little blog.

Posie Patchwork said...

Ha, so funny Tey. I am certainly not obsessed with stats or checking them other than when a PR company asks or i get some really random new followers/ comments/ spam. Then you look & think, how did they find me from looking up 'white ceilings' when i've never put those words together on my blog, WEIRD!!
I absolutely love that line 'letters to the future', it's gorgeous & yes, i hope my children read my blog when they grow up, well they read it now but when they are parents, see their adventurous childhoods & how much love we had for them.
FYI i have a sneaky idea mega bloggers check their stats hourly!! Love Posie

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh oh oh, thanks for the gorgeous comment on my blog, you're a doll!! Yes, we are very proud of my husband too, love Posie

Muddled Up Mumma said...

It's addictive isn't it! I tend to check mine once a day. I like to gauge how popular certain posts are so I can make sure I am keeping what I post relevant to my readers.

Veronica @ Mixed Gems said...

I forget they are there a lot of the time. That's good. I do check from time to time but, like you, I determined from the start that my blog was not about hits because I wasn't going to make it into a commercial venture. That may change one day. It's more important to me to be engaged with those who do follow me. For me, almost five months of serious blogging and I have a core of people I know drop by regularly, I return the favour, we tweet and we comment, and that's good enough for me.

Teresa said...

I started my blog for just the same reason but I love how you put it - "letters to the future" and the unexpected validation from other usually like minded bloggers is a wonderful bonus - enjoy!

Kymmie said...

Tey, I totally hear you! I started my blog five years ago and just over a year ago, I started to get more hits than I ever imagined. It was so bizarre receiving a comment from someone I didn't even know. Of course, we've gotten quite use to that now ;)

I was definitely stat-obsessed when it all started to happen, but I confess I never check now. I just love the rythmn of blogging and started is as a family journal. It's become so much more than that, but I never forget my roots.

Thanks for sharing a great and honest post Tey. x