July 23, 2011

Tina Fey's Bossypants


Always glammed-up on magazine covers, she chose a bizarre image for her book jacket. 

It was out of stock for while but I eventually got myself a copy of “Bossy Pants” by Tina Fey. It must be because I've been waiting for this since ages ago or because Tina Fey’s reputation as an extraordinary writer preceded herself- -  that’s why I was a little disappointed that the book was not the heavyweight I thought it should be. Or it could be my fault. I have set her high on a pedestal I expect everything she does to be 100% perfect.

But hey, that’s Tina Fey- - so it is still a gem of a book, all in all. It is hard enough to be a writer. To be a funny, clever, intelligent writer is even more so.

The book talked about the famous Sarah Palin episode in her life (which made me watch on youtube again her brilliant sketches of Sarah Palin). It is also interesting to note how such a self-assured, overachieving person can suffer a meltdown in her office when she gets upset or when she suffers from the guilt typical of working moms. (It actually makes me feel less embarrassed about my own dramas at work ;-)

The other thing I learned in the book is that Tina Fey’s background is actually improv—which, in my opinion, is the most difficult brand of comedy.  I’ve also tracked on youtube her interviews in David Letterman. She is really one smartypants (and beautiful and hot at the same time. How can she get to be all of that?) and I think it is her years of experience in improv, aside from her genes, that made her such a quick-witted, gifted artist.

I end this post with one of the videos I saw that showed her doing improv with Ellen de Generes. If you haven’t seen it yet, check this out and have a laugh.


No comments: