June 5, 2011

A Little Bit of Country


What is Bohol without the countryside tour? 




First stop: Baclayon Church. As Bohol is an isolated island, this belfry served as a watchtower for pirates in the olden days.




Baclayon is the second oldest church in the country. The construction for this church started in 1591. Designed by Jesuits and built by locals through forced labor. I imagine scenes from “Noli Me Tangere” as I tread this church and the museum.


Next stop: Tarsier watch. Tarsiers are the world’s smallest monkeys and according to our guide, can only be found in the Philippines and in Indonesia. They’ve been in existence for 45 million years but are now in danger of being extinct.


Beside the tarsier habitat is this funny guy. I just wanted a picture taken with him but in a few seconds, I felt the cold, slithering skin of the snake on my shoulder! I froze and screamed in silence ;-O







Lunch: Loboc River Cruise. We had a sumptuous buffet of native dishes while we enjoyed the music of the local band and the lush greens along the riverbanks.




This is actually my favorite part of the tour. At one point in the cruise, we went down to watch kids and old women from the barrio singing folk songs and dancing the tinikling. It was very festive and there was just so much joy around. Rare is a picture of my husband smiling like this ;-D



Last stop: The Rainforest. The Boy Scouts planted this beautiful stretch of mahogany trees sometime in the 60’s. The trees have grown tall and lovely, as you can see.


And this ends our countryside tour. Beautiful Bohol, we will go back for sure.

2 comments:

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

This is what I love about blogging. I'd never heard of a tarsier, and now I have!

Visiting via the Rewind.

MultipleMum said...

Ditto LIAPF. Just added it to my list of things to scout out whilst in Bali (are they even there? You said Indonesia). I bet you could have done without the GIGANTIC snake!? Thanks for Rewinding x