March 6, 2011

volcano island



My favorite cousin, Maret (shown here with my kids), came home for a vacation from the US two weeks ago and part of her itinerary was lunch, then snacks at Tagaytay.  All the returning migrants ("balikbayans") in my family do that before they return to the US and I'm not sure if this is something that other Pinoy families also do.


Actually, even without balikbayans to tour around, we often go there with friends or family for a weekend lunch. Tagaytay is only about an hour away from where we live, that's why. Plus, it is famous for its cool climate, nice restaurants, and a view of the Taal Lake and Taal Volcano.




Travel websites describe Taal as an island in a lake on an island in a lake on an island! The crater is in the center of the island which you can readily see from a distance because it is the smallest active volcano in the world.


Strange that we Pinoys have already taken this for granted because Taal Volcano has become so accessible and ordinary. It has become "just" our weekend getaway. But compelled to describe it to chronicle my cousin's visit, for this blog and for the world that randomly stops by for a visit, I suddenly look at this scenic spot in a new light. 


When I read the posts of bloggers from other countries or when I travel outside the Philippines, I find myself invariably envious and also frustrated (for ourselves) that they enjoy fantastic living conditions and fantastic sights. 


I am grateful to have had this epiphany today that just like them, we Pinoys also live in a wonderful world.


________________________
Photo credits: OMG Facts and e-philippines.com

3 comments:

Maxabella said...

I think we all feel a bit this way about the place we live. Being a 'tourist' in our own place is a great way to remind ourselves that we are lucky too. x

supermac said...

HI, Maxabella. There are actually a lot more fabulous places to see here and I plan to write about it someday. Thanks for your note ;-)

supermac said...

HI, Maxabella. There are actually a lot more fabulous places to see here and I plan to write about it someday. Thanks for your note ;-)