February 2, 2011

lol

Laughing out loud in an eatery in Vietnam
You see it often. LOL (laugh out loud), LMAO (laughing my ass off), ROTFL (rolling on the floor laughing). I sometimes use LOL but really,  I feel that laughter is such a rich expression that I don't want it reduced to these three little letters.


Also, just doing LOL eliminates the other textures of happiness that conversations bring. There is of course laughter, but then there is a snigger, a chuckle, a giggle, a guffaw.


So, when I text or post a comment on FB or when I chat with friends and relatives, I say something cute and I would go "hehehe". When I want to poke fun at my friends, I say something nasty and follow it up with "hihihi".  And when I want to let the other person know that I'm laughing out loud, I type "mwahahahahaha". 


Still, nothing beats face to face interaction or at the very least, talking via webcam, especially with friends and family. But when that ain't possible, go ahead and text or chat with them and smile and snigger and giggle and guffaw and laugh your ass off. Express these emotions the best way you can and let me know if LOL will do.





No comments: