October 30, 2010

khaled hossein

Note: One, this is not a book review. Second, I extremely hate spoilers so I shall be considerate to the few people who read this blog by not revealing the plot and divulging highlights of the book, as most book reviews do. 


I first read "A Thousand Splendid Suns". It is a very, very beautiful book, but it brought me to depths of unimaginable sorrow. Twice or thrice, I wept for the characters in his book and when I finished the novel, I thought I should first heal myself from the anguish I felt by reading light or entertaining novels first (chick lit included) and even showbiz magazines.


Last week, feeling ready for another Hossein, I started reading "The Kite Runner" (his first novel, actually). It is not as heart-wrenching as "A Thousand Splendid Suns" but it is also a sad read.


Still and all, I am glad to have discovered another excellent writer and to have travelled through his words, the tumultuous world of his characters in Afghanistan. He has become one of my top favorite authors and I am so looking forward to his next novel.


For those who have not read any book by Khaled Hossein yet, I suggest you start with "Kite Runner" before you proceed with "A Thousand Splendid Suns". And oh, have a box of Kleenex handy.





No comments: