September 30, 2010

tempestuous

Since we just marked the first anniversary of the Ondoy storm, let me remind everyone of the devastation that a strong typhoon can cause and how we can all be reduced to nothing in the face of Mother Earth's lashings. 




I know a lot of family and friends whose cars got submerged in water. 


In a situation like this, people flee, even if there's no place to run, no place to hide.


See what I mean?


Scene from another typhoon, Basyang. This crane fell off just outside our village.


A billboard structure crashed near our place as well.

I get paranoid and mortally fearful for myself and my family each time a storm hits the Philippines. Ondoy hit all of us on a personal level because of the many stories of devastation that directly hit home. We were lucky to have been spared but not my closest relatives and some friends. 

Sadly, a year after Ondoy, the government seems to be still unprepared for a storm of this magnitude. The drainage system is still clogged, the creeks are still littered with illegal settlers, the highways still littered with unwieldy billboard structures. There is no flood control system, no rescue operations to speak of. 

Tears. We might as well start flooding Malacanang with our tears. 









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one today.

Also visit my weblog ... easiest way to lose weight

Anonymous said...

It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate to this brilliant blog! I guess for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.

I look forward to brand new updates and will talk
about this website with my Facebook group. Talk soon!


Feel free to surf to my blog; rheumatoid arthritis pregnancy